MARCHING ON AND LOOKING FORWARD TO A NEW SEASON AS COVID-19 MEASURES EASE.

 Articulation Textile Group like most of us has maintained social distances, managed new paradigms in challenging circumstances, and found ways to continue on their creative journey, at work in their individual studio practices. I don't think I am alone in looking forward to gathering again in person after 2 or more years of Zoom connections. We are all grateful for the opportunity to keep in touch as we have but like textiles that benefit from in-person observation, so too do the makers.

Here is a brief show and tell to share with you illustrating some of the projects that are underway.  


Ingrid Lincoln has continued the covid theme that has seen her work with what she has on hand in the studio. She is experimenting with process, playing with colour, and balancing her energy between utilitarian and purely aesthetic projects.


Lesley Turner is continuing to explore a new body of work about motherhood. 
She is working with vintage wool blankets and dyes them to build a color scheme.
She uses her design wall to develop the design using reused brown packing paper and painted papers from her stash.
The images below show how she is trialing different combinations of designs and colors to achieve the effect she is looking for.
Working with blanket-thick fabrics satisfies Lesley's desire to work large and so make a bold statement.


Lesley auditioning motifs and placement.


Lesley's extensive catalogue of hand-dyed wool is being put to good use for this developing body of work.
More from Lesley Turner:


  

Wendy Klotz's growing collection of Indigo dyed fabrics


Wendy Klotz writes: I have, for the last several months, been working my way through Maiwa’s online Indigo class. I have always loved the colour blue and although I have taken several Indigo workshops - the indigo vat had always been prepared ahead of time for me and although receiving lots of direction, I had never had the confidence to make my own vat. 
Well - that has all changed. The Maiwa class was full of hands-on demonstrations and I have been really enjoying thoroughly immersing myself in the experience. I am now looking forward to summer when I can take it all outside. I have barely scratched the surface, but already my pile of blue fabrics is increasing.  


Amanda Onchulenko, "Wonderland: Heart/ Soul" is an acrylic on panel, diptych.
Each panel 48" x 48", 2022. 


I have been painting through the pandemic and showing work in various capacities when an opportunity arises. I collaborated with a local florist to cheer up Winnipeg's downtown in the depths of what has been an unrelenting winter. Melanie at "Freshcut Downtown", makes a mean bouquet should you be in need of one.

I also participated in the RBC Convention Centre's Renovation Show in February after a January cancellation which was an interesting opportunity to make new connections. I loved the enthusiasm my display, I only half-heartedly called "Colour vs Winter", encouraged by patrons.

The Prairie Arts Cartel hung my 2020 body of new work, "COMPOSITION" in their exhibition space at The Russell and District Library through February and March. The Healing Blanket Project joined the project and made for a lovely local connection to my mother-in-law, Doris Onchulenko, and her inspiration as part of the quilting community that worked in the area for generations.

I was lucky to take a short winter break to Mesa when a brief window opened up in our family's schedule. There I took in Dale Chuhily's Dessert installation at the Phoenix Botanic Gardens and felt refreshed to witness colour in the landscape in the natural and man-made form...without snow. Thanks for the recommendation, Lesley.

Phoenix Botanic Gardens, March 2022...stunning!

By far my biggest project since we last spoke has been the launch of "WISDOM AT THE CROSSROADS" the Podcast, with Amanda Onchulenko. While considering this new adventure I had wondered how my visual medium as a Painter and Textile Artist would translate as an audio experience. As Liz Vaccariello states in the March 2022 publication of Health Magazine: "When we share our experiences we invite others to not only feel what we have felt but to find something of themselves in our stories." 

 In the podcast, I share the story of inspiration and process through the example of a different painting from my archive in each episode which then concludes with a brief meditation or reflection. Designed to be an invitation into my studio for a morning tea or afternoon coffee where we pause to find presence, together, yet remotely. We are already upon to Episode 5, an "ODE to TOM" (Thomson with a bit of Australiana thrown in)

 In season 1 the focus is on paintings I have in my home that have taught me a lesson of some kind. It has been an interesting process so far and I am getting over hearing my spoken voice in public. Who would have thought an Oznadian accent would be heard in this way? Textiles will definitely feature in future seasons.

Listen anywhere you find your podcasts, or google the name "Wisdom at the Crossroads Podcast", with Amanda Onchulenko. I will include a link below in case that is helpful. So far the response has been encouraging and I am discovering new things about my work in reflection. I hope you will check it out. New episodes drop on Tuesdays.

Look for Amanda's Podcast cover art when searching your podcasts


Articulation continues to explore new ways to support the creative output and exhibition of members' work. In fact, we are preparing to show our "Out of The Studio" independent projects in conjunction with the VISDA Gathering the Threads textile conference on Vancouver Island, June 15 to 18. Follow this link if you are interested in seeing the workshops, lectures, and exciting tour being offered Gathering The Threads

 Lesley Turner's property will be a star of the show with works hanging indoors and out. Each member will be allotted 17 feet of exhibition space so the show is destined to be diverse and include examples of work spanning Articulation's more than 20-year collaboration.

 
Let's hope the weather is accommodating and looks like this on the island in June.



But if it looks like this I am sure we would still be excited to be together in person.

Stay tuned for updates or reach out to individual Articulation members with your questions and comments. We thank you for reading to the end and hope you stay well and find new and creative ways to enjoy the new season.

All Best, 
Amanda Onchulenko 
On behalf of Articulation Textile Group.

Amanda's Website 
 Wendy's Blog 
 Ingrid's Website 
 Donna's Blog 
 Donna's Website

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gimli - a Little Bit of History

Art as Therapy From the Weyburn Mental Hospital, Saskatchewan

Elephant Rock Collapses - Hopewell Rocks, Nova Scotia