Articulation Textile Group Fall Lineup 2019

The seasons roll annually around in what feels like a quicker succession and suddenly we find ourselves wading through brilliantly painted fallen leaves, or in some cases early snow. Fall is about both beginnings and endings. For some it is a favourite time of year while others dread its preamble to the winter months.

Ingrid Lincoln back in the studio at work and at play.

Amanda Onchulenko's Painting 101 Series

Fall in Manitoba has been particularly wet but apparently wet is favoured by our urban forest which in return put on a spectacular New England inspired show. Thanksgiving weekend hosted an unseasonal weather bomb that dumped heavy wet snow on leaf laden branches and decimated our beloved trees in what was referred to as the tree armageddon by the press. Prolonged power outages across the province aside, in true Manitoba style the weather returned to seasonal sunshine and even our once frozen, snow buried annuals, perked back up and continued to bloom post melt. Mother Nature's resilience always inspires!


Heavy wet snow in an unseasonal fall snowstorm

Personally I reluctantly embrace the routines fall imposes. After the luxury and freedom of the summer months and the cottage, the discipline and structure fall supplies does help to reestablish work routines and studio rhythms. To get back into my painting groove I initiated the ambitious "Painting 101" project. On 11" x 6" water colour paper I dipped into my hordes of inspirational photographs as starting points and eagerly sought out compositions in loose and easy colour.



Poppies, resilient and cheeky!

Exhilarating and exhausting, the project has procured some gems in a variety of themes that really did get my creative mojo reignited. The results will be on display and for sale during my FIRST FRIDAY in the Exchange District sale in Winnipeg. (December 6,7 and 8) I am happy to declare the project complete. This weekend, while undertaking the flattening process I unearthed a batch I had missed in my most recent count and ended with 111 pieces. I am going to consider that lucky despite my apparent issues with numbers. Best not to put my hand up for the treasurer's position I guess?


The garden is a perennial focus 

My studio remains a sanctuary for my creative soul and I am happy to be getting a move on my next fiber-based body of work, the starting point for which has been pinned to my wall and overseeing all the recent painting action.

A new body of work based on my creative painterly signature will focus on some dye sublimated images and embroidery. With these details of my painterly signature captured on fabric I aim to work toward exploring the layers of my inner landscape.

Articulations Connected Heritage came down at the end of the summer and by all accounts from visitors as far away as Japan, Australia, and the Middle East, it inspired with its themes, processes and historic references. All the contributing pieces made their way back across the west to our members. While my pieces quietly assembled at the studio in readiness for my December show, Lesley Turner's piece "Origins" went straight to Vancouver Island, arriving just in time to exhibit with Vancouver Island Surface Design Association annual show, "Current Threads 2019".

Lesley with her work "Origins", showing at the VISDA Show, "Current Threads 2019"

Lesley Turner's garden expertise is always blooming in her Vancouver Island paradise. She makes awesome compost.

"VISDA members are willing to tackle large, serious and intensely personal subjects...while demonstrating mastery of their craft" ( Lesley Turner)


Life is lived in the details and the commitment to fine craft. Detail, "Origins"by Lesley Turner


The show curated by Gillian Riordan and her committee was an exceptional show. Lucky you if you were in the area and got to take it in. Lesley notes the works of colleagues Bryony Dunsmore, Susan Duffield, Jean Cockburn, Laura Feeleus, Barbara McCaffrey, Gina Dingwall, and Lesley Comassar. Vancouver Island clearly has a flourishing group of textile artists creating and exhibiting fine work. Check out Lesley's blog for further details on this exhibit link here.

Wendy Klotz was inspired by the many exhibitions she took in during her visit to the SDA conference in St Louis. 

Prior to this, Lesley along with Articulation members; Ingrid Lincoln, Donna Clement, Wendy Klotz, and Lean Clifford, found themselves in St Louis taking in the biannual SDA conference and marvel at worthy textile exhibit after exhibit in a city celebrating fibre and all of its current creative applications. They witnessed "numerous artists working in the personal to access the universal" (Lesley Turner).
 I was not able to join the group in St Louis but I look forward to hearing of their creative journey in greater detail when we convene in Calgary for Articulation's annual general meeting in the coming week.

Ingrid has been rediscovering items and projects in her studio and reimagining them in a new context.



Fall brings sales for some. Donna Clement has been busy dyeing indigo scarves like these for the Calyx show in October.

I love receiving snippets of inspiration from colleagues. These 30000 ribbons at the Brandenburg Gate for example.

In Calgary, there will be business to attend to but the best part of gathering is always the celebration of women, researching and exploring inspiration large and small and expressing their creative discoveries and ideas in fibre. This year we will be finding further ways to support each other creatively in this unique creative unit we are all so lucky to be included in.

Now that my paintbrushes are momentarily resting, I promise to report the discoveries made and inspiration found sooner than later on my return.
Until then, Happy creating!
All the best,
Amanda Onchulenko
( on behalf of Articulation Textile Group.)

Comments

  1. Thanks for the update, Amanda. Inspiring group - as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your continuing support of and interest in Articulation.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Art as Therapy From the Weyburn Mental Hospital, Saskatchewan

Elephant Rock Collapses - Hopewell Rocks, Nova Scotia

Gimli - a Little Bit of History